One kilometre east of the Carnamah
townsite via a signposted driveway on the north
side of the Carnamah-Bunjil Road.
The state heritage-listed Macpherson Homestead was one of the first
buildings in the district in the late 1860s and is now standing
strong following restoration.
Free, with donations appreciated.
The homestead and its outbuildings can
be visited at anytime. If you'd like to look inside the main
building please make
arrangements by email to
or by telephoning either:
on 08 9951 1690
- Jill on 08 9951 1575 or 0458 576 758
Take a look at out our Macpherson
virtual exhibition, read an overview of the
or detailed biographies about members of the
Macpherson family in our Biographical Dictionary
History of the Macpherson Homestead
The homestead was the home of Duncan and Mary Macpherson who settled in
Carnamah with their children in 1868. The Macpherson's established a
pastoral station named Carnamah
, and during their 70-year residence their
homestead was known as Carnamah
The northern telegraph line to Champion Bay (Geraldton) was built passing
their homestead as it was the only permanent residence in the district.
The last link that joined up the completed telegraph line was connected
in Carnamah on 5 June 1874. A telegraph office was run from an
outbuilding by Duncan’s daughters for almost 40 years.
Following the deaths of Mary and Duncan Macpherson their unmarried
children George, Maggie, Donald and Bessie lived out the rest of their
lives at the homestead. After Bessie's death in 1939
the homestead was owned by the widow of her nephew Percy and Percy's son
Malcolm. They leased and
later sold the homestead to local farmer George S. Ferguson.
Over the years the homestead changed hands, became unoccupied and
rapidly deteriorated. From 1979 to 2004 the Carnamah Apex Club, Carnamah
Restoration Society and the Carnamah Historical Society restored the
homestead with locally raised funds and grants from Lotterywest. In 1981
local farmers Glendon H. and Jennifer M. A. Lane donated ownership of
the homestead and a parcel of surrounding land to the Shire of Carnamah.
For a number of years the partially restored homestead was used each
week by the Carnamah Brownies. Following the conclusion of restoration
works the homestead was furnished with donated items before being
officially opened on 23 October 2004 by Ian M. Macpherson (whose father
Malcolm was the last Macpherson to own the homestead).
The Heritage Council of Western Australia assessed the homestead as
having "played an important and successful role in the development and
growth of the Carnamah district" and that "the place has particular
structural interest, with its high walls and steeply pitched roof and
bush rafters." The homestead is a permanent entry on the Heritage
Council’s State Register of Heritage Places.
● Duncan Macpherson
● Mary Wilson / Macpherson
● Aeneas Macpherson
● "Locke" Lachlan Wilson Macpherson
● "Jock" John Macpherson
● "Bessie" Elizabeth Macpherson
● "Maggie" Margaret Macpherson
● William Wilson Macpherson
● "Don" Donald Macpherson
● "Alex" Alexander Macpherson
● George Macpherson
● Percy Campbell Macpherson
Malcolm John Campbell Macpherson