Government Townsite Plan
The WA Government gazetted a townsite at Carnamah in 1913 due to an
increasing population from the
Ready Made Farms
inception the town was a few streets on the west side of the
A Second Townsite
The land on the other side of the railway was owned by the Midland
Railway Company, which they used to privately survey their own townsite.
The two adjoining townsites were then in competition to one another
and both contained a Macpherson Street!
Blocks in the government's townsite were available for selection
from 1913, and the Midland Railway Company held their first sale of
lots at an auction in 1914.
The Company's townsite developed more quickly and was extended with
land from the Niven family's Craigend
Street in the government townsite was eventually renamed Slater
Below: Caron Street, about 1930