Francis Henry William Thomas Winifred Brownrigg Peter Welsh Thomson Margaret Jean Caldow /Hodsdon Frederick Edward Senior James Roger Francis Wyman Clark Richard Robertson Patricia Mae Mulligan Joachim Dido

Biographical Dictionary - Coorow, Carnamah, Three Springs



Born C.1866 [323: 3-Jun-1898]
His mother was an Aboriginal woman known as Mary [459] but also referred to as Buddy NEBRONG [239: Tree 14C]
     Some sources say that his father was Scottish born Duncan MACPHERSON of Carnamah Station [239: Tree 14C]
     He had a sister Frances NINTIGIAN who married "Jimmy" James RYDER [15] [239: Tree 14C]
     Frances' parents, and therefore likely his as well, are said to be Duncan's son John MACPHERSON and Mary WIRBINA [P411] [519]
     Mary WIRBINA was from the Victoria Plains district [519]
He worked as a Stockman for the MACPHERSON family on Carnamah Station in Carnamah [P424]
He told George MACPHERSON on 30 March 1898 that an Aboriginal stockman named Dick had left the sheep [39: 4-Jun-1898]
     George and Aboriginal man Carnamah Tommy found and followed the tracks of Dick's horse and another horse [39]
     After finding Dick's body with a stab wound George sent a telegraph to the closest policeman at Mingenew [39]
     He was arrested 25 miles from Carnamah on the road to Rothsay on 1 April 1898 and his boots were found 14 miles out [39]
     The boots had nails in them that left distinct tracks, which matched those where Dick had died following a great struggle [39]
     At a preliminary hearing he stated that he'd had a drink with Dick and when he went to get on his horse Dick pulled him off [39]
     He hit Dick on the head with a stick and Dick then fought with him, but after being caught by the throat he stabbed Dick [39]
     Afterwards he went and told Dick's partner Annie what had happened and she corroborated that as a witness [39]
     He went before the Supreme Court in Geraldton on 3 June 1898 accused of wilfully and feloniously killing Dick [39]
     George MACPHERSON described him as "a very good tempered man" and had "never known him to be malicious" [323: 3-Jun-1898]
     In his testimony George also commented that he had known him "since he was a baby, in all about 32 years" [523: 4-Jun-1898]
     After half an hour of deliberation the jury returned a verdict of "manslaughter, with a strong recommendation to mercy" [39: 4-Jun-1898]
     He was sentenced to twelve months imprisonment [39]
He had visited Mrs Eliza CUPER on about 31 December 1894 and she left her brother's home to live with him in Carnamah [326]
     She had lived with her husband Benedict CUPER until 27 December 1894 when he went up north to work droving [326]
     Eliza gave birth to a child named Albert on 21 June 1895 and while he survived, Eliza died shortly after on 17 July 1895 [326]
     After Eliza's death her brother David BIGGS took the child Albert and left him with a native woman named Emily MAX [326]
     He is alleged to have forcibly removed the child Albert on about 30 August 1895 and taken him back to Carnamah [326]
     When Benedict CUPER returned from droving up north he sent his brother David BIGGS to collect the child born to his wife [326]
     By this time he was in prison (see above) and the child was alleged to have been in the possession of George MACPHERSON [326]
     George MACPHERSON refused to hand over the child but in June 1898 was ordered to produce the child at court [326]
     At the age of three years the child, Albert CUPER, was admitted to the Benedictine Mission at New Norcia on 5 July 1898 [519]
Through Miss MACPHERSON of Carnamah he donated 2/6 towards the fund being raised in aid of orphanages in 1899 [39: 5-Dec-1899]
His mother, referred to as "Mary, Mother of Albert Nebrong" shifted from Carnamah to Ninghan Station in February 1902 [459]
     It was said that before Ninghan Station she had previously lived on both Carnamah Station and Yandenooka Station [459]
     It's possible that his mother could be the same 'Mary' who shifted from Arrino Station to Carnamah Station in 1900 [458] [470]
     That 'Mary' received rations from John MACPHERSON at Arrino and from George & Don MACPHERSON in Carnamah [458] [470]
     His mother Mary is likely also the Aboriginal woman Wobena, also known as Mary, who was on Coodingnow Station in 1902 [460]
He later worked in Greenough, where he is believed to have worked for one of Duncan MACPHERSON's sons [P424]
After leaving Greenough he lived on Ninghan Station and then on Coodingnow Station, both in Payne's Find [P424]
     He is said to have shepherded the first flock of sheep from Greenough to Coodingnow Station for "Gus" T. Augustus CLINCH [P424]
     Resided on Coodingnow Station with his partner, an Aboriginal woman named Big Dinah, and their daughter Gelena [P424]
     Galena was later a partner of Gus CLINCH and after Galena's death in 1921 he and Big Dinah raised her son Bill CLINCH [P424]
He was also the father of Jessie NEBRONG, whose mother may or may not have been Big Dinah  [239: Tree 14C] [P424]
     Jessie worked as a domestic helper for the MACPHERSON family at their homestead Carnamah House in Carnamah [P9]
     Jessie was the mother of Arthur John Farrell and later the partner of Aboriginal shepherd "Dido" Joachim DIDO [P1]
In his older years he was described by his family as not being a tall man, with a big grey or white moustache and quite fair skinned [P424]
Died 8 August 1939 in Payne's Find [39: 18-Nov-1939]

Reference:  Carnamah Historical Society & Museum and North Midlands Project, 'Albert Nebrong' in Biographical Dictionary of Coorow, Carnamah and Three Springs, retrieved 25 May 2024 from [reference list]

Use the below form or email

Comment, memory or story about this person
Suggested correction or additional information
Question or general feedback
Please enter this code into the box to confirm your request.